Friday, February 12, 2010

Another Busy Day!

Day 2 here in Vancouver is complete! We arrived yesterday and went through team processing where we received 3 huge bags worth of items- including our opening and closing ceremonies gear, which was altered on the spot for us. Then we were told we had a box to ship items home- and that's when the real decisions came into play. I was up until 1:00am trying to decide which items to keep with me and which to send home- trying on clothes and thinking about what items I'd like to trade with other people for their swag, and also which items I want to give as presents and to whom. It was a intense night!

Then- because the time difference is 3 hours, I woke up at 3:40am to be a live guest on the Bert Show on Q100 in Atlanta. It's a show that I personally listen to in the morning and have been trying to get on for a while now to tell them about bobsled- so I was stoked that I finally got on. I was so tired I don't think I realized that I accomplished a life goal by being on the Bert Show, I did the interview and fell right back asleep- very tired. I have a follow up interview with the Bert Show on Monday...should be loads of fun!

When I finally woke up for the day it was a mad scramble to finish packing and ship my box off. Then we worked out and had lunch with children from Vancouver College. Always nice to hear children chant "USA, USA!" when you walk into a room! Such a great experience!

Finally, we had a press conference and then I rushed to a hotel in Vancouver where I was supposed to meet Shawn Johnson for a live facebook chat on behalf of Got Milk? Well, the press conference took longer than expected and the car they sent couldn't get to the building I was in because of all the extra security. Long story short, I missed the chat but shot some footage promoting SAMMY (Scholar-Athlete Milk Mustache of the Year Award) and chatting with Shawn Johnson that will hopefully be used soon. Such a cool experience and I was honored to be involved. (Shawn Johnson had just released Project SHINE and her Milk Mustache Ad). I felt bad that I was late, but was happy the people there were great and excited.

After that busy day, I finally checked into the athlete Olympic village in Vancouver which is amazing! I've been able to get so much video for my Olympic movie- it's been great! I've already met a curler on the women's team, an aerialist, and a hockey player on the women's team (all US athletes). The village is awesome- but more importantly- everyone I've met has been amazing! Everyone- all the volunteers who are so willing to do anything for you- even move all your luggage into your room- have been great! The support from all my family, friends, peers, and fellow Americans across the world has almost led me to tears. Tomorrow's opening ceremonies and I don't know if I'll keep it together- but there's a good chance I will because I'm not sure how to wipe the smile off my face.

Thanks everyone for all that you do!!! I appreciate it!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Elana, all of us from the old AIA troupe are praying for you and excited that you've made it to Vancouver! May God continue to use you as a light unto others. Big hug, Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elana,

    From the Vern where you were great everyday, the coaches and student-athletes at GW are cheering wildly....listen up and you'll hear us!!! U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you. This all sounds like such a blast! I'll look for you on my TV tonight on the opening ceremonies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elana,

    GW's Exercise Science Department is hugely proud of you...hope to see you on TV!

    Pat Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fellow Colonial living in Atlanta is proud of you and your Olympic performance!

    Jonathan Smolen

    ReplyDelete