Sunday, August 8, 2010

It was never about the money

One of the questions I often get asked is how much money do I make bobsledding?  The answer is- not very much- if any at all!  We can win a very small amount in prize money every year, but even that doesn't cover what we spend to compete in the sport.  Even gold medalist Steven Holcomb, who is quickly becoming the face of our sport in the U.S., has said he still has over $40,000 in debt from bobsledding alone!  So why if the financial rewards are so great and the return is very little, do we compete?

Well, when I was 7 years old I made a decision that would alter the rest of my life.  At 7, I decided to become an Olympian.  At the age of 7, I had no concept of money, but I made that decision and I have worked my entire life to get to where I am today.  To me, representing my country means more than the amount of money it takes to get there- it's a once (hopefully more than once in my case) in a lifetime opportunity, to go to the Olympics and fulfill a lifelong dream.  No amount of money can take away from that accomplishment.  No amount of money could be offered to me to take back that memory.  Some things are priceless, and competing for your country on the world's biggest stage is one of those things.  Every moment was priceless and I cherish every bit of it.

So these days I'm working at a burrito shop and trying to be as creative as possible to raise funds for the upcoming season.  Yes, money is tight, and I am still far off my goal, but I know that the ultimate goal of all this cannot be measured in dollar signs.  Although I hope to walk away from bobsled one day fully satisfied and with as little debt as possible, even if I leave with debt, I'll know it was all worth it...

After saying all that- feel free to donate! lol  Paypal button is on the right!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you blogged about this. I have been wondering myself cause I am planning on trying out for the team this year. I'll actually be up at the Rookie Camp this next week. So thank you! I too want to be an Olympian. Its like I was looking for some type of comfort because already I've been nearly in tears just trying to buy a plane ticket! lol. But its true, just from my SUPER SMALL experience at the Park City camp - its totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete