Saturday, August 14, 2010

Got Milk: A humbling experience

This week I was invited to the Refuel America Launch by Got Milk, an event to launch NBA player and USA Basketball player Chris Bosh and Apolo Anton Ohno's Got Milk Ads, and to promote the use of low-fat chocolate milk as a post-workout recovery beverage.  Not only is it truly a great post-workout beverage- the event was a lot of fun!  My teammate Jazmine Fenlator and I, drove to her mother's house where we parked my car and then traveled into the city.  Gotta admit- the experience was pretty terrifying!  I went to school in Washington DC and I've traveled all over the world- but the amount of people in New York City at rush house was a little more than I could handle.  Thank goodness Jazmine was there- she knows the city and was a great tour guide.

Anyway, we went down there, did the event, and then had a chance to tour the city.  We had cupcakes at Eleni's and also at Billy's Bakery, hot chocolate at Jaques Torres, and cheesecake at Junior's- obviously I was not on my diet for those few days.  We toured Times Square- and that's when I really began to enjoy the city.

Reflecting on the experience, I realize how humbling it truly was.  Yes, I have achieved much, as an Olympian and as a medalist, but standing next to Apolo Ohno, the most successful Winter Olympian in history, was a truly humbling experience.  In order to win the amount of medals that Apolo has won (8), I would have to continue bobsledding for the next 28 years, make each Olympic team, and win a medal in all of them!  Additionally, Shawn Johnson and Chris Bosh are no slouches either- both have accomplished so much- including Olympic gold medals!  I was not star-struck by any means, I have met many stars, but being around such accomplished athletes makes me realize that I have so much more to accomplish- so much more I want to do as an athlete!  I can't wait to get back on the track and back to work- so I can go after all my goals!  Thanks Apolo, Shawn, and Chris for inspiring me- Push Championships is less than a month away!

No comments:

Post a Comment