Sunday, May 30, 2010

All about the Children!

Children are some of the coolest people ever! Winning the bronze has created some pretty unique opportunities, some of which have included getting to work and speak with children. These probably have been the most fun of all my adventures, as children tend to ask some pretty interesting questions. I have visited with the Atlanta Vipers 10&U softball team courtesy of my former hitting student, Bella, chatted with the softball team at Lithia Springs High School, I have spoken to many schools (in no particular order): Sweetwater Elementary, Dorsett Shoals Elementary, Beluah Elementary, Bill Arp Elementary, Chapel Hill High School, Alexander High School, Mason Creek Middle School, Chestnut Log Middle School, Mundy's Mill Middle School, Austin Middle School, and the Douglas County Performance Learning Center. I have spoken to several after school programs, including those hosted by the Atlanta Youth Project in the Walton apartment complexes, and I have had the opportunity to meet many children at events such as Olympic Day at KidsGym and the GA Kite Festival. I was a guest on the news broadcast of Chapel Hill Elementary and was interviewed by two aspiring young journalists, whose nervousness was cute. I was welcomed by my alma mater, Arbor Station Elementary, where I received a very warm welcome cause as they say "Once a bear, always a bear." I was inspired playing with the children at Egelston's Children Hospital, and was truly touched by these children. I was honored to speak at the opening ceremonies at Cogburn Woods Elementary School's Olympics and spent three days with the students of Eastside Elementary for their field day and also spoke at their 5th grade reception. All of these encounters have been so much fun and these children have truly made winning the bronze medal more special and I am honored to have been able to share my experiences with them.

I've been asked many questions, "Are you married?" "How much do you get paid?" "What else can you do?" "Do you ever get spiked?" "How many trips have you taken?" "How much do you bench press?" "Is there a Santa Claus?" "Do you ever get scared?" "What was it like to be at the Olympics?" "Is that medal heavy?" "What was it like when they put the medal around your neck?" and so on...some questions more amusing than others but all very welcomed! I have had the greatest time being asked all these questions and hopefully I provide pretty good responses!

At any rate, I have been blessed to have been able to share my medal with so many of the youth, hopefully I'll be able to work more with children and who knows, maybe I've even inspired a few to go on a reach their goals. Although working with all these children has made me want children even more now, children of my own will have to wait at least another 4 years. it's more crazy moments with children I get to return to their parents! lol

Oh btw- if you have pictures, please post or email to me- I don't have pictures from any of these events, but it'd like to add them to my personal collection! Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment