Friday, May 28, 2010

Pretty Cool Moment in my Life

So when I won the medal, one of the things I was looking forward to most was coming home and connecting with the Egleston's Children's Hospital in Atlanta to arrange an event where I could meet some of the children and show them my medal. Well the day finally came and I had a blast playing with Wii with some of the children, even though I don't think bobsled was their most fun game. Anyway, while I was there I had the pleasure of meeting a young boy and his Dad who were actually from Douglasville! The boy (I don't have permission to use names so I'm not going to- to protect the family's privacy) and his sister attend Arbor Station Elementary (my Alma Mater), although because of his illness he has not been able to attend for some time. When I met his father at Egleston, he told me that although he had to take his son out of school, the next goal was for him to be healthy enough so he could come hear me speak at Arbor Station a month later.

So yesterday, I entered the gym in Arbor Station to the applause of many children and parents, and all I could see was a sea of faces. But then, I looked over to my left and I saw him- there he was just sitting in the chair listening to me speaking- he made it! I couldn't help but keep smiling at that point- I was so excited! I was so happy that he had made it to come see me speak- I couldn't help but keep looking over at him and smiling. He came up afterward and we took pictures and smiled his gorgeous smile, but I'm pretty sure I was the one who was most excited. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera for the picture (so if you're reading this and you have a picture of us or me with any children, please send it to me), but it's truly a moment I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Now I've met many people throughout my travels, many celebrities and stars, heck- I even met the president- but none have touched me quite like this little boy and his family have. He truly is blessed with a loving family and he is a strong fighter and I only hope that someday I can have children as wonderful as this little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment