Saturday, April 10, 2010

Changing Drivers



Since the Olympics, many people have asked me how teams are made in bobsled. In the U.S., the teams are created by the coaches. Living in a democratic society, the coaches try to create the best combinations in order to win gold and come to their decisions based on several factors, one of which is drivers input, and the decision is made by a group of coaches. For the Olympics, I was paired with Erin Pac, even though I raced in the first World Cup in Whistler and the 2009 World Championships with Shauna Rohbock. Much controversy has surfaced as a result of this, but I have no hard feelings against Shauna or the coaches for not racing with her during the Olympics (I suppose most of you may think that's easy to say now- but it was true even before we won the medal). Most of this past season I raced with Erin, and Michelle Rzepka and Shauna had great results as a team leading up to the Olympics, so it was only natural that I race with Erin for the games. Circumstances caused for their to be a switch in brakeman, part of which was my hamstring injury for the majority of the season, but even when the switch was made I had no hard feelings toward anyone for the change. Switching drivers is common in bobsled, but I had raced with Erin more than any other pilot in my 3 year career, so being put in her sled for the Olympics was more of a homecoming really. Shauna was one of the first people I hugged after winning the bronze, as you can see in the picture above, and she was great to Erin and I throughout the entire process of winning the medal. Like I've said before, I've got some pretty great teammates, even if we aren't always in the same sled.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elana,
    my name is Mladen Pavlovic. I am a Serbian bobsleder, currently residing in US.
    I have competed as a breakman for Serbian national team (2 man bobsled) in 2005/06 World Cup and Junior World Championships in 2005. Unfortunately, my country decided not to send a 2 man team to the 2010 Olympics. I am a former track and field athlete (100m and 200m). I would like to tryout as a breakman for US team. I joined Us bobsled federation. Other than tryouts held in Lake Placid, can you suggest any other contacts? Who can I talk to about joining the team?
    regards,
    Mladen

    ReplyDelete