Thursday, April 8, 2010

LASIK...or not

So I was connected with this program called LASIK For the Gold- it's a program created by a group called Eye Care 20/20 located in East Hanover, NJ, and they do free LASIK surgery for Olympic athletes. Pretty cool program, especially considering the vast majority of us would not be able to afford LASIK on our own (because most Olympic athletes do not make ANY money doing the sport they love- me included), and considering how important vision is to compete at the elite level. My driver for these Olympics, Erin Pac, had it done so I owe a lot to Dr. Silverman and his staff- a bronze medal! So I was all set to go have my LASIK done, got to East Hanover and had everything ready to go, until I had the pre-op appointment. It was during that appointment that I learned I was not a candidate for the operation because I had super-thin corneas. With my contact prescription, they said the chances of that happening are 1/100,000, which of course means I was the one. Although we were both disappointed, Dr. Silverman and staff were still awesome and even gave me a pair of glasses- good thing cause I'll have to wear them for the rest of my life! lol I still had a blast in East Hanover, so if you're ever in need of LASIK or any eye surgery (I wasn't eligible for PRK either), contact Dr. Silverman- he's good people!

Here's a link to a recounting of my visit:
http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20100406/COMMUNITIES/100405144/1005/NEWS01/Olympic-bobsledders-say-thanks-to-E.-Hanover-eye-doc---even-though-one-can-t-get-surgery

No comments:

Post a Comment