Saturday, May 14, 2011

Graduation!

After 5 long years of studying, I have finally graduated from the George Washington University with a Master's in Tourism Administration, with a concentration in sports management.  I started working on my graduate degree in January of 2006, right after I graduated from GW as an undergrad.  I was still on scholarship playing softball, and started working on a master's in clinical exercise physiology.  I loved studying exercise physiology, but at that time I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life (I'm still not- other than bobsled! lol).  I completed a year of studies and decided it wasn't for me, and then transfered into the GW School of Business to pursue the MTA.  I took one semester of courses and decided that too wasn't for me, and finished the semester and went on to focus on playing professional softball that summer.

Well- summer came and went and I was feeling burned out from softball so decided to start pursuing my dream of going to med school.  I enrolled at Georgia State University to complete a Master's in Exercise Science and also prepare for med school.  I had a graduate assistant position, and things were going well, but then I got the itch to compete again- which is exactly when I went up to Lake Placid for my first bobsled tryout.  Needless to say, I didn't stay at Georgia State.

After my first half of bobsled, I decided I needed a business background for my athletic career.  GW had a sports management concentration in the MTA program, so I decided to transfer back to the program and continue my studies online.  Ever since then, I have been working hard at completing this degree.

It's been a long road and I feel like I've been in school forever!  (Well- my whole life really!)  I feel a sense of relief that I am finally done, but I don't really feel like I even have it.  Maybe it will feel different when I get the sheet of paper that states my degree, maybe not.  All I know is that I have finally completed my goal of getting my master's degree.  What this means for the future?  Who knows, but I think I have some time to figure it out.  For now, I'm going to read because I want to- and not read a textbook!

I'll never stop learning, but I can't say I'm sad to take a break from taking tests and writing essays lol

To all my fellow 2011 grads- Congrats!  We did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment