Thursday, May 19, 2011

Changing coaches

As my summer training begins, I have begun working with a new strength and conditioning coach.  I previously worked with Dan Pfaff and Stu McMillan, two great coaches who greatly attributed to my success the last two seasons- including winning my Olympic medal- a feat which I couldn't have done without them.  I greatly appreciated the time spent with these two coaches and can't say enough great things about them.

So why switch?  Unfortunately for me, Dan Pfaff was hired as a coach for the Great Britain National team for track and field team in preparation for London, and took Stu McMillan with him.  Last season I was able to continue working with Stu, however, it was difficult not being able to see a coach on a regular basis.  My form for many exercises, including running and lifting, is not very good and needs constant monitoring.  Without a coach by my side, my form breaks down which results in less power, speed, and strength at the end of the day.  Despite my best efforts, this season was difficult without having that coach available.  So, it is with great sadness that I had to discontinue working with Stu.

Although I knew I needed a change, I was unsure of what to do.  At the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, they had just hired Brad DeWeese, and I needed to make a decision of where I was going to train.  After just a week of speaking with Brad and working with him, I was hooked and decided I was going to commit to train with him this summer.  Brad DeWeese is extremely knowledgeable and has a very scientific approach to every aspect of training.  He breaks down every aspect of training and also works to train athletes not only to be better on the field, but also smarter- to be able to understand why they train the way they do.

I have switched coaches more than anyone possibly in the history of athletics.  Every season for summer travel softball growing up I played for a different team.  My high school basketball team had 3 different coaches in 4 years, softball had 2 different coaches, and track also had two different coaches.  My college softball team had 4 coaches in my 5 years of playing (why I had 5 years is because one of those coaches) and even my professional softball team had 2 coaches in one season!  I've already had a few coaches with bobsled, and with the recent job posting for a women's bobsled coach- it appears that I'll have one more!  Every time you get a new coach its a process to learn what the coach is like, what they coach like, and how it will affect performance and everything else.  It's a learning process on both sides.  Coaches are supposed to be people that you can trust to lead you in the right direction, to motivate you to do better- to be greater.  And all of this requires a mutual trust, but it's very difficult to trust when coaches constantly move in and out of your life...

So how do you trust someone you don't know...well- there is no simple answer to that.  For me, I don't have to trust a coach because I trust God- and that's enough.  I use that trust I have in God to help me through the transition in coaching- the constant transitioning as it seems.  Other than that, trusting a new coach is difficult- but at some point you have to believe they have your best interest.  Coaches don't receive all of your trust instantly, but once they show that they are really truly invested in the best interest of the team or yourself as an individual athlete, at some point you must take a leap of faith and trust them.  No one said it was easy though...

I have chosen to trust Brad DeWeese with my strength and conditioning.  I know that he will prepare me as best he is able for the upcoming season- and really that's all I can ask from any coach.  I've been working with him for less than a week now, but I know things are moving in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment