Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Off Season Craziness

So my off-season runs a total of about 5 weeks- from the last race in April until the middle of May.  I have been home for the entire off-season, and so far it's been crazy!  I feel like I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off- not too much down time.  I haven't been making as many appearances as normal, but I've been trying to do more volunteer activities.  I've had the great fortune to increase my work with Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, a great organization operated by some great folks.  I've volunteered at the hospital to create Easter decorations with the children, as well as become more involved with Transplant services.  I will work more with Transplant services in the future, and I'm very excited about the opportunity.  I will also be running the Fiesta 5k (que) race this weekend at Centennial Olympic Park, which is beyond my athletic ability (I have no cardio), but I'm still excited about it anyway.  Join me and register online here: http://www.choa.org/Support-Childrens/Events/Fiesta-Atlanta-5-Que   

Other than increasing my volunteer activities, I've had the opportunity to try some different activities myself.  I learned how to rock climb at Atlanta Rocks- I learned how to belay and tie knots and everything, and even support other climbers.  Rock climbing is very physically demanding- and a great workout and a lot of fun!  

I also have tried kickboxing, another great workout and a lot of fun!  The workout was quite physically demanding- and I was over the cardio side of it, but I enjoyed kicking and punching the bag.  I definitely could see myself doing more of this post-bobsled.  If you haven't tried it- I highly recommend it.  

I also dusted off my basketball shoes and hit the court again.  I try to shoot every once in a while, and forgot how relaxing it is.  My shot came back- which only made me want to shoot even more.  

What else have I done?  Taken advantage of this opportunity to spend as much time with my sisters and family as possible!  I truly love them and I don't get to spend much time with them, so I've tried to do as much with them as possible.  We've been to a Georgia Force game (courtesy of Sam Crenshaw- thank you!), Old School Saturday, and other events- it's been great!

So I've got a week and a half left of the off-season...can't wait to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment