Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Season Wrap-Up

So the season has officially ended and it was quite the interesting season!  Driving is so much fun and I am so happy that I made the switch!  Although I am still a new driver and it is early, I'm hoping the switch is permanent and I never again have to return to the back of the sled.  The season was full of some successes, some struggles, and a lot of lessons.  One of the best things about driving is that now I'm the captain of my team- each brakeman I've slid with is now a part of Team Meyers!  With the creation of Team Meyers comes the added pressure for good results and added expenses for purchasing equipment, but I'm more than willing to deal with those issues in order to drive a bobsled.  The feeling of controlling a sled while going 70-85mph down an icy hill is amazing and I'm in love with it!

This season really made me appreciate brakeman.  I have raced with many brakeman, and I greatly appreciate all the brakeman I have raced with.  Thank you to Katie Stoever, Katelyn Kelly, JennaBree Brown, Kristi Koplin, Emily Azevedo, Jamie Greubel, and Hillary Werth- it was a pleasure to race with you!  Also, thank you to all the other brakeman who took trips with me, so that I may be able to hone my driving skills and become a better pilot; so thank you Brittany Reinbolt, Tara Stephenson, Valerie Smith, Kelli Ehardt, Meighan Stevens, Lauren Spiers, Sineaid Corely, Jack Malleo, Jackie Higgins, Shea Robinson, Ketty Cornemann, Jessica Penta, Emily Weinberg, and Maggie Decell.  I look forward to sliding with those who return to bobsled, and wish those who are not the best of luck.

The season was a whirlwind- I went back and forth to Europe three times!  I learned so much about the sport and had a great time meeting new people and getting closer to people I've known for years.  I'm saddened about the retirement of Erin Pac, Shauna Rohbock, and Valerie Fleming, but I'm hopeful for the future and the team we will re-build with their departure- although they will be difficult to replace!

The season was highlighted by our 9th place finish in World Championships- a huge accomplishment to finish in the top 10 in my first World Championships as a pilot, especially on a new German track.  It was made greater after I had crashed the first run of my training, and the fact that I was beat some great pilots and even some Olympians.  Other highlights including a SILVER medal at the Jr. World Championships- a close race that was deservedly won by Paula Walker of Great Britain, racing 3 World Cup races and finishing top 12 in all of them- including a 6th place finish in Lake Placid, finishing 2nd overall in the America's Cup circuit with GOLD at the Calgary America's Cup and SILVER at the Lake Placid America's Cup, and finishing the season with a world ranking of #13!  Like I said, it's been quite a year!

I'm happy to have the opportunity to return home and take some time off, but I can't afford to take much!  Next season will be very competitive to even make the US squad- we've got 4 great pilots returning- and the competition is always fierce!  Internationally, everyone is prepping for Sochi 2014, so each year will get more and more competitive so it will be a great challenge to increase my world ranking.  We host World Championships in 2012 in Lake Placid- so the goal will be to medal there, and with a great brakeman and if I continue to improve my driving skills- I know it's possible!

In the meantime, we're always looking for new brakeman- both men and women and will be holding recruitment camps throughout the year.  If you're interested, please visit http://www.bobsled.teamusa.org/recruitment for more information and http://www.bobsled.teamusa.org/events for all the camp listings.

Thanks to everyone who made this season amazing!  Each and everyone of you- fans, friends, family, medical staff, coaches, staff, etc made this season great.  I am blessed to be surrounded by great people- and you are truly what makes going for an Olympic dream worth all the sacrifices.  I love you all.

Here's to the 2010-2011 season!  Onto the next one!



No comments:

Post a Comment