Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Long Overdue Update

The season is here and a lot has happened!  We had two team trials in Lake Placid, and I won the first one. The second race I crashed the first run, but according to criteria I was granted two more runs and at least was able to finish the race, but I still finished last unfortunately.  For a new driver, taking the run after a crash can be a little nerve-wracking, and as you can imagine- it was not the smoothest run, but I made it down and that's what matters.

We then traveled out to Park City to compete in two America's Cup races.  My brakeman for those races was Katelyn Kelly, and we had some trouble at the start.  Katelyn was named to the national team as a brakeman, and I was fortunate to have her on my team, however, my push bar kept falling while I was pushing which unfortunately resulted in slower push times.  Katelyn did awesome though, and we were able to pull out 4th place finishes both days, each behind 3 Olympic drivers so I'm happy with this result.

Then the crazy occurred...

As you saw from my earlier post, my Olympic driver Erin Pac retired.  Because of her retirement and my recent finishes in races, I have been named USA 3.  This normally would mean that I would get to race on World Cup, however, I am not currently qualified.  In order to qualify, I have to race two races in Winterberg, Germany now, and then will hopefully return and race the final World Cup on the first half in Lake Placid, NY.  As exciting as it is, I am very nervous about how I'm going to make all this happen.  My biggest hurdle right now is finding a sled to rent in Winterberg, a task that is proving to be difficult.  It would be a huge opportunity to race World Cup in my first year as a driver, and I would really like this opportunity- so I'm trying to do everything possible to make it happen- which mostly means a whole lot of prayer!

In my absence, Jamie Greubel will race in the World Cup in Calgary as the USA 3 driver, and Jazmine Fenlator will race in the Park City World Cup as a driver.  I wish them the best of luck, as they are also both new drivers.

But for now, I'm currently in Calgary, Alberta, Canada- and it's cold!  Tons of snow- and we get on the track for the first time tonight.  Although crazy has occurred, I'm excited to learn this new track and get back behind Optimus Prime!

This season is going to be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment