Sunday, February 23, 2014

Silver Lining



I need to write.  And I need to write while the emotion is still raw, before I have the chance to let my rational mind consume my thoughts as it tries to help me sleep at night.  My hope is that maybe someone can learn something from my words, that it can change something for someone, but if not, hopefully it's cathartic enough for me to help me get some sleep at night.

Every night I'm haunted by that last run; I haven't slept much since it happened.  I replay the skids so vividly in my head that any thoughts of the other corners are reduced to a mere hazy memory.

So how does it feel to feel like you choked in front of the whole world?  How does it feel to have your lifelong dream slip away literally from your fingertips? It sucks.

So what happened?  This is a question I will ask repeatedly for the next four years.  I felt physically good and I mentally felt in the best place possible to drive my sled well.  I'm usually very strong in the biggest pressure situations, which is how I landed the nickname of E-Money or Money Meyers, the pressure excites me and usually brings out the best of me- this time it just didn't.  

I finally watched the last run of the race and realized I didn't quite look like myself- I looked well...exhausted.  And I was exhausted before the race had even started.  I'd mentioned before that my Olympics had been extremely tough, and it had been.  It began with the initial Olympic team selection, where some brakeman were chosen and others not and the hate mail started to come.  I should've had tougher skin, but I never would've thought I would've been told I'm a horrible person for something I didn't choose; I took it too much to heart and got stressed out.  It then continued with brakemen race-offs in Sochi (which are always stressful), which resulted in a gash in my shin that required a stitch and a bone bruise, brakeman switches, and yes more hate mail.  We finally get to race week and there's problems with equipment, I crash (whiplash), and then my sled breaks (and even more whiplash)- like gets completely totaled- and reassembled again.  So needless to say I was absolutely exhausted, but I still believed in my power to come back from all of this and succeed and win the gold.  I still believed that despite my exhaustion I was going to be able to perform at the highest level- and I was doing it...and then it slipped away.    Was I too exhausted?  Did I just finally hit my mental limits?  I don't know...

I know people are proud of me, but I also know that I'll be for we criticized as having choked at the Olympics and to those people at this time I don't have much to say.  I honestly don't know what happened.  I did everything right- I ate right, slept the required hours, and followed my coaches instructions to a tee, but it just didn't happen.  I lie awake at night trying to figure out why, yet the answers don't come.  I know they will eventually surface, but I know it will take some deep reflection.  I'll get some answers eventually, but right now I'm just stuck with my  emotions and stuck trying to figure out how to move past all this so I can begin the next four years.

I can't change what happened and even as I grasp to make sense of it all, I'm still at a loss.  At the moment I feel like I let my coaches, teammates, Lauryn, all of America down, and nothing seems to reduce the sting.  The tears come easily now, but each time they come I'm reminded of what happened and how I never want to feel this way again.

As I go on with my career, even if I win a gold medal I'm sure that I won't forget the pain I feel right now, but if I am fortunate enough to win a gold medal, I know it will be because of this moment.  I will use these feelings as motivation- as a guiding force to teach me what I need to to move forward.  I will figure out what went wrong and how to become a better athlete because of it.  I will take this moment and use it as an opportunity to grow as a person and an athlete.  I'm motivated more than ever now to become the athlete I know I can be.  I will learn everything I need to from this situation and become even stronger.

This post may seem strange to most people who would say "Hey- you won a silver medal at the Olympics"- but my goal at the Olympics wasn't to win a medal necessarily, it was to put down four great runs, and I didn't do that.  I let myself down, but the outcome was still a medal.  I'm proud to have won a medal for my country and I'm proud of the effort I put out to do it.  My friends and family sacrificed so much, and my fiancé has perhaps sacrificed the most in terms of time, energy, and financially. I worked extremely hard for this hardware, and I'll forever cherish it.   I've made history- I'm the first black pilot to win an Olympic medal, the first woman to win a medal as a pilot and a brakeman, and the first US woman to win two bobsled medals- that's quite an incredible feat!  

At the end of the day I have to appreciate the journey to this point- the journey to win this Olympic medal.  I've learned so much and I've grown so much as a person.  I am a better daughter, sister, fiancé, and athlete because of the past four years and the journey to Sochi.  At the end of the day, I may have lost the gold, but there's definitely a silver lining. 


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your feelings. It's hard to even imagine the pressures Olympians are under but you gave us a peek into what life is really like. You didn't let anyone down!!! I've never in my life seen an an Olympian who is so gracious, friendly,witty, honest, team-spirited and charismatic. Those qualities have made you a public favorite and a huge success in life. Whether or not you won gold... you win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elana you didn't let anyone down. The overall answer is, you're human. Nobody is perfect all the time. I can only imagine what you're going through right now. So many teams and only one gold medal winner, and it takes so little to cause a team to not be that gold medalist. You had so much happen, things you didn't expect, and yet you still fought through and only missed by the smallest of margins, while many other teams had everything go as expected, no unexpected distractions, and they didn't have a final outcome as well as yours. Don't hold it against yourself Elana, nobody else is. Over seven billion people in the world, One Sochi2014 Women's Bobsled Silver Medalist Driver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elana, America is very proud of you! Besides being a great athlete, you are a kind, generous, humble person. You are a winner with or without medals. Here's hoping another four years isn't too much because we'd all love watching and cheering for you in Korea. Meantime, how about setting a wedding date? What will Elana the bobsledder wear at her wedding? Will it be spandex :) Seriously, all the best to you. Enjoy life. Pat .. a fan on the Eastern Shore of Maryland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elana, congratulations on your silver medal and making history!! You have NOTHING to feel bad about! You did an awesome job! Unfortunately, you got a glimpse of what Lolo Jones deals with ALL the time; being unjustly and unfairly criticized by the public, teammates and the media. Crazy stuff! I, like you, believe that we should build up our Olympians not tear them down. Through the entire process you showed courage, leadership, good character and good sportsmanship. God bless you and much continued success! #Wolfpack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I.LOVE.THIS. When we can be real, honest and raw is when we truly do learn the most about ourselves. I am proud of you as an athlete for sure, but even more proud of you as a humble, normal, but larger than life person. You may not be thinking about this now, but these lessons and honesty you have given yourself will also mold you into being an amazing mother someday. Keep chasing your physical dreams and continue to always keep it real with yourself (a quality I've found in our age group is lacking with a lot of people). Thank you for sharing yourself so honestly, it truly is refreshing from an athlete and a role model to our youth. When you come by LSHS (I know you will), come by and see me...I wanna give you a big high five!! Evan Conlon Hopkins :)

    ReplyDelete