Thursday, December 1, 2011

Double Gold in Konigssee and World Cup

For the last Europa Cup races before World Cup competition, my teammates and I were in Konigssee, Germany, the track where I raced my first World Championships on as a pilot.  I was excited to come back there, but early in the week I found myself facing a great deal of difficulty driving.  I was frustrated all week- just having a really tough time.  I went to one of my coaches, Mike Kohn, a former bronze medal push athlete who turned pilot- just like myself.  He explained to me that what I was going through was completely normal, that all pilots have a great deal of difficulty in their second season- because you feel like it should be easy- but it's just not.  I've been told this by others before, but I didn't think it would happen to me- but it was and continues to.  Coach Kohn though said something that I brought with me into the race- he told me to "just drive."  And that's exactly what I did- I went into the races- and just drove.  I didn't think about anything else- I just drove, and the outcome took care of itself- I walked away with two gold medals with brakeman Katie Eberling and Brittany Reinbolt.


Tomorrow is the first World Cup race of the season.  This past week has been very frustrating indeed, I've been under the weather, and my driving woes continue- very frustrating training runs and I definitely haven't been winning training as far as times go.  The frustrations continue, but all I can do is go into tomorrow's race and do the best I can.  So here we go...first World Cup of my sophomore season...

1 comment:

  1. I like that saying "Just drive". Try not to over think and just race each race as their own race and go from there.

    ReplyDelete